Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Cake Hunt - Numbers 67-75

This post gets us up to date. We currently have 75 cakes. I feel like we have put in so much time and we are barely 1/4 the way there! I am still really enjoying this, though. There are still cakes I want to get. I want the one at Robert Wadlow's statue, the Chain of Rock's Bridge, all the cakes in downtown (or most of them, there are so many!), the Mary Meachum Freedom Crossing which was part of the Underground Railroad, and so many more.

I had several friends tell me there was a new cake at Ameristar Casino / Highway 70 near my house. It was put out July 27! So I took the kids one morning to get a picture. Gwyn did not want to be in it.
We went to the Butterfly House at Faust Park the day before the kids returned to school. The boys brought a friend who wanted to be in the picture. Gwyn had fallen and needed some Band-Aids, so she was too traumatized to be in the picture.
This past Saturday, we finally made it over to Illinois to get some cakes. I had been waiting to go until my brothers were available to go. Jake couldn't go, but Tony was game. Here are the pictures.


Lewis & Clark State Historic Site - We met here. And Kevin knew about Lewis and Clark already, so the boys wanted to walk around. By the time we got out of the car at the next stop, I couldn't find the camera. (The pictures are from my iPod.) Then after the last cake, when we returned Tony to his car we found the camera in the car.

Confluence Tower - I was excited about going here since I have been wanting to go up in the tower for years. You can see where the Mississippi meets the Missouri River. However, it as raining too hard to go up. We didn't get all the cakes in the area, so I want to try next time we come out.

National Great Rivers Museum - This place was amazing! As we took the picture we saw that there were tours of the lock and dams later that day. I made sure we could tour without my hubby, and we returned later. I loved it! We went up on top and walked around, and saw a boat coming through. The museum was very well designed and the kids all had fun. They want to return.

On the way to the Piasa Bird, both boys yelled, "There is a cake!" So we stopped to get the one at the Alton Visitors Center...

...which was across the street from the Lincoln-Douglas Square and Franklin House. The history of this was lost on the kids, probably evident by the butt pose.

We went around the corner to see the Alton City Hall. (Tony is imitating throwing up on the cake. It would make sense if you could see the artwork on the cake. I like it. Be creative!)

Then we drove to see the Piasa Bird. This was so cool! The caves behind it were huge! So huge that the boys thought that this picture was the monster that lived in the caves. Neither wanted their picture taken with the cake, and Kevin never left the parking lot. But it was awesome to see.

After this trip, I want to return to the Confluence Tower and see the rivers. I hear the view is worth seeing! But who knows the next time we head to Alton. I know we will, I just don't know when.

No comments: