Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chicago Trip - Day 1

So we had our first family vacation this past week. (We are not counting our trips to Kansas City as vacation, although they are fun.) We headed to Chicago to meet up with Aunt Kelly, Pappy and Grandma (Kevin and Louise).

We left St. Louis on an Amtrak train around 5:30 Friday evening. We had dinner on the train, and the boys were very excited. They spent time watching movies and playing. I think Colin's favorite part was looking out the windows to count motorcycles with me. Kevin and I were amazed at how well they did. Crying only happened once, which was when I stepped on his fingers accidentally. Kevin never reached his breaking point, and Colin lasted until we arrived at Chicago's station. We were very proud. I think the passengers around us were also relieved.



We met Aunt Kelly and Pappy at Chicago's Union Station, where they dropped off all four of us, along with 9 separate pieces of luggage, at the Embassy Suites located at 600 State Street. We arrived around 11:30 pm with two very tired boys. When we got to the front desk we were told that they were sold out and did not have a room for us. We had called earlier that day to let them know we would be arriving very late, close to midnight. Apparently that did not stop them from giving our room away. They did offer us a room at the O'Hare location. That was out of the question. They also found a room in a different hotel with one queen bed, which was also out of the question. So we spent about 20 minutes arguing with the front desk before they gave us cash for a taxi.

Thankfully, Pappy, Grandma, and Kelly were staying at another, nearby Embassy Suites. Since they had two rooms which included two double beds and a fold-out couch, we all crashed there. We had someone sleeping on the floor, but at least we were all downtown. What a great way to start the trip!

4 comments:

Kerr Family said...

I was a little disappointed that the Embassy Suites link just linked to Embassy Suites. I was expecting it to go to the definition of incompetent or something like that.

McGuire Family Blog said...

I had thought about that, but I want people to know which hotel to never stay at. Your way would have been better.

Kevin said...

Too bad you got them reversed. Pappy Grandma stayed at the one on State street. We were booted from the Downtown/Lakefront one on Columbus.

Suzanne said...

argh, I would've gone ghetto on their a##'s. (well not really) but I would have been so upset.