Monday, November 11, 2013

A Wedding In New York

Last weekend Kevin and I flew to Poughkeepsie, NY. His co-worker (and our friend) got married. Both Brian and Jess are from New York, but they moved to StL for his job at Boeing. If you have never been to New York outside of the city, I recommend it. It was beautiful! Here is the view from the train ride from the city to Poughkeepsie.


I tried to get pictures with Brian and Jess, but none of them turned out well. But here is the church, and a picture of the reception hall. I was a bit obsessed with how much I liked this town.



 Us at the wedding.


One of my favorite things about traveling for this trip was the train ride. Here is the (real!) train station in Poughkeepsie.



Since neither Kevin nor I have ever been to New York City, we stayed one extra day to explore the city. After we arrived at Penn Station, we dropped our things off and then started walking. We started in Times Square, which neither of us liked at all, but at least we can say we have seen it now. We first headed to the Brown Building. I wanted to see the building from the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. Kevin didn't care about that. He wanted to see that building from movies and tv. It was the same building, luckily. After that, we just kept walking south(ish). We walked through Midtown, Flatiron District, Lower Manahttan, Tribeca, Noho, and a few other neighborhoods that I don't remember. It was a straight shot, but it was still interesting to see the different neighborhoods. We both knew that we would only get to see a very limited amount of the city, so we didn't set up goals for things we wanted to see. We just went with it. (Much to Kevin's dismay, and my enjoyment.) This walk took about 2.5 hours, so we took the train back to the hotel.



Afterward, we headed to dinner at an Irish pub.


The next morning, we only had until 2:00 to do anything. We went to the American Museum of Natural History, and only paid for the two hours we were there, thanks to Brian! (Not the one who just got married. We know two Brian's from New York.) My favorites were the Hall of Human Origins (We saw the real Lucy!) and the Cape York Meteorite. It was amazing!




We got a big kick out of the dinosaur exhibit that needed updating. (Do dinos still walk like that?) 



And good thing they let us know the T Rex was extinct. (It is a bit scary that that detail was needed.)


After that we headed to the airport and flew home. We were both very happy to get to see the kids before bedtime. 

A big THANK YOU to Downtown Grandma and Aunt Pat for watching the kids!

No comments: